Prescribed Fire laboratory
Semester Course: 3rd
Credits: 6 ECTS
Prerequisites: Forest Biology (6 ECTS) and Forest Inventory (6 ECTS) or override permit by the lecturer
Lecturers: Domingo M. Molina
Web Site: http://www.etsea2.udl.es/~UFF/2_courses/pages/wfmmd.htm
That those attending the course could be able to:
- Plan and execute sound (successful) prescribed burns.
- Organize both logistic and workers’ safety issues needed in prescribed burns
- Carry out prescribed burns under different fuel model structures
- Use the fire torch as a fire surgery element, being able to direct the fire line spread as necessary to fulfill the objectives.
- Programme topics:
- Introduction to Fire Ecology and Prescribed Burning (PB).
- Fire Ignition Patterns.
- Widening a fire-line by means of burning. .
- PB practice in rangelands.
- PB practice on Fuel Model 9 (Pine stand) burning. Different sites
- PB practice on Fuel Model 11 (Slash in pine stand) burning.
- PB practice on Fuel Model 7. Learning How to Control Flame Length (Fire Surgery).
Course requirements include the presentation of a class summary (10%), a class project (20%), grading in field accomplishment (20%) and a final exam (50%).