Mediterranean Forest Products: Building with Wood, Living with Wood, Wood in Transport&Packaging, Cork
Semester Course: 1st
Credits: 3 ECTS
Prerequisites: - Lecturers: José-Vicente Oliver
Web Site: http://www.udl.cat
To get advanced knowledge on the principal solid wood-based end products in their principal applications in the Mediterranean area (construction, furniture and packaging): design, raw materials, manufacturing processes, end products and quality control. To know the main end products based on cork: winemaking, construction and other uses. To know the most important innovation trends in added-value wood and cork-based products and their future markets.
- Programme topics:
- Module I: Introduction: wood as a sustainable and environmentally sound material for consumption products
- Module II: Building with wood in the Mediterranean region: structural and non structural uses of wood and wood-based panels in construction under Mediterranean conditions
- Module III: Wood in packaging and logistics
- Module IV: Living with wood: materials and trends in the furniture and interior design industry; Module V: Cork products: winemaking, construction and other uses
- Practical Module I: identification, description, characteristics, technological properties and industrial applications of the main wood and cork resources in the Mediterranean region
- Practical Module II: Innovation challenges for the Mediterranean forest products of the future
Resolution of practical exercises (50%) and final examination (50%).