Semester Course: 3rd
Credits: 6 ECTS
Lecturer: Carlos Santos, Miguel Sottomayor and Américo M. S. Carvalho Mendes
- To train students with the methodology of scientific research and with some basic quantitative and qualitative research methods.
- To support students in the design of their dissertation project.
- Programme topics:
- Introduction to epistemology
- The methods of scientific research
- How to write a dissertation
- Some quantitative research methods. - linear regression models - time series models - discrete choice models
- Some qualitative research methods: - case studies - participant observation - in-depth interviews - focus groups - Delphi methods - discourse analysis
Course requirements include: two mid terms, one quantitative methods and the other on qualitative methods (40% + 40%) and a dissertation project (20%)